In February 2015, 30729 topped the list of most frequent Medicare rejection reason codes
What is the issue?
Over the past couple of months, Medicare Reason Code “30729”, has started to creep into the Top 10 Rejection lists. Most notable, in February 2015, 30729 topped the list of most frequent rejections especially in Jurisdiction JL. Providers see the rejections in the Return to Provider (RTP) in CWF/FISS. Any billing related rejections will impact a facility’s ability to maximize recovery amounts timely. In addition, the rejections increase administrative costs for resolving the issue.
Why is 30729 causing such havoc with rejections?
Reason Code 30729 is used for Medicare claims submitted with invalid data in the “Medicare Treatment Authorization Field” on the 837. Starting January 5, 2015, the “Medicare Treatment Authorization” field must contain blanks or valid Medicare data in the first 14 bytes of the treatment authorization field for direct data entry (DDE) and hardcopy claims and at the loop 2300 REF02 (REF01=G1) segment for the ASC X12 837 claim.
How to prevent the rejections?
When submitting an electronic claim to Medicare, the Treatment Authorization field must be blank or have a valid UTN# which consists of a 14 digit/character field broken down by the following:
- The 1st and 2nd digit must be alpha numeric (no spaces)
- The 3rd digit must be an A or H (no spaces)
- The 4th to 14th digit must be numeric (no spaces)
The following list represents the current valid data used in the “Medicare Treatment Authorization field”; any other data (other than blanks or the valid data values listed below) will be Returned To Provider (RTP) with reason code 30729.
Valid data in the loop 2300 REF02 (REF01=G1) segment for the ASC X12 837 claim may be any of the following values:
- Unique Tracking Number (UTN)=FIRST TWO POSITIONS OF UTN MUST BE ALPHA-NUMERIC AND NOT CONTAIN SPACES, THIRD POSITION OF UTN IS AN A OR H, LAST 11 POSITIONS OF UTN MUST BE NUMERIC AND NOT CONTAIN SPACES.
- TRIAL 49
- A/B REBILLING
- Valid 18-byte OASIS Treatment Number for Home Health claims
Areas impacted by the denial?
Our review of 30729 issues found that billing issues were for the following top issues:
The common message from most MACs is that institutional claims submitted without blanks or valid data will be returned to the provider with reason code 30729 for correction. Providers should work with their system representatives or vendors to ensure the field complies with these instructions.
In addition, providers should:
- Evaluate the Medicare Return To Provider (RTP) listing to determine if 30729 is a Top 10 issue at your facility.
- Investigate what is causing the rejections.
- Implement corrective actions to prevent the issues moving forward.
Given the frequency of 30729 rejections in Jurisdiction JL and JH, it is apparent that this issue is impacting many institutions in a number of different states.