We are currently seeking an Inpatient Coding Analyst to work in our Princeton, NJ or Frisco, TX location.
- Utilizing BESLER’s revenue integrity platform, review inpatient claims at all levels of complexity for:
- Accuracy of assignment of principal diagnosis and principal procedure.
- Accurately identify opportunities for assignment of major complications and comorbidities (MCC) and complications and comorbidities (CC).
- Perform data quality reviews on inpatient records to validate the ICD10-CM & PCS codes, DRG group appropriateness, missed secondary diagnoses and procedures, and ensures compliance with all DRG mandates and reporting requirements. Review inpatient records for accuracy of present on admission indicators and discharge status codes.
- Query physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes
- Keep abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements. Bring identified concerns to supervisor or department manager for resolution
- Abide by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines
- Support and engage in education presentations (both face-to-face and remotely) associated with audit and review activities
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory standards, which may impact utilization of processes and systems
- Seek opportunities for individual growth and development, including attending various meetings, conferences, and courses, as required
- Responsible for meeting departmental productivity and quality expectations
- Consult with client organizations and their department heads at the direction of the service line director.
- Collaborate with other service line team members to meet client demands and to develop strategies for service line growth and operational improvement.
- Communicate consistently with all project team members and general BESLER colleagues regarding the status and results of service line business operations.
- Contribute to publications, presentations and white papers on behalf of organization as requested
- Carry out all other ad hoc requests as determined by business needs.
- Travel to client sites as may be required
- This position performs other duties as assigned
Demonstrated abilities and experience in the following areas:
- A minimum, 5+ years’ experience with inpatient coding/billing.
- Demonstrated competency in use of computer applications including abstracting and encoding software
- DRG grouper software, MS office and hospital information systems
- Demonstrated knowledge in hospital/healthcare settings such as revenue cycle, clinical experience, charge description master, coding, reimbursement, health insurance practices, industry regulatory requirements, business office operations, technology, and industry standards for healthcare resolution management practices.
- Knowledge of ICD-10 required, ICD-10 Trainer experience highly desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with high-level of management
- Detailed-oriented and able to meet targeted deadlines
- Bachelors of Science degree in a related field, Associates in Health Information Technology minimally acceptable
- RHIA or RHIT preferred, CCS credential required
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to synthesize regulatory requirements and apply to business projects/activities on a regular basis
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to comprehend and apply applicable healthcare regulations
- Ability to multitask, be flexible, remain composed under pressure, support teammates, and think critically
- Project management skills
Interested applicants should submit their credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
BESLER is an equal opportunity employer committed to full compliance with all applicable laws.